Happy Thanksgiving Eve! I am so excited for my first married Thanksgiving, and can’t wait to relax and start some new traditions with my love. With the craziness + busy year we’ve had, we are staying home the remainder of the year to soak up the holidays as a couple and we are more than ready to cook together, lounge around, and possibly sprinkle some Christmas cheer around our house by tomorrow evening (fingers crossed we find our perfect tree tonight!). Who else has spent the holidays alone as a couple from time to time? We love sharing holidays with family, but also think it’s so important every once in awhile to have some one-on-one time and get some relaxation from the regular hustle bustle. We decided to start off our first major holidays (Thanksgiving + Christmas) this way, and are excited to start traditions I know we will cherish for years to come.
With Thanksgiving coming up tomorrow (yay!), I wanted to quickly hop on and share an easy + delicious Pumpkin Roll recipe that’s filled to the brim with a fluffy, simply irresistible cream cheese icing. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago after I realized just how often Seth and I would gravitate to the cake section in Walmart to get their seasonal pumpkin roll. I figured if the Walmart bakery could make one than so could I, so I searched for an easy recipe (because let’s be real, rolling a cake for the first time is intimidating), and am happy to say that not only was it easy to make for a first-timer like myself, it was also delicious!
If you’re looking for some last-minute treats to add to your Thanksgiving menu, I highly recommend you to try this one. It is best served chilled, so once complete, let it set up to an hour in the refrigerator before slicing and enjoying. Happy Thanksgiving!
RECIPE FROM FIFTEEN SPATULAS
Recipe makes 10 servings
PUMPKIN CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 8 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How To Make The Pumpkin Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a half sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, and pumpkin.
- Add in the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well until incorporated.
- Pour batter onto lined sheet pan, and spread into a rectangle about 15 by 10 inches. Then bake for 10-13 minutes or until the cake springs back to the touch. Remove from the oven and while the cake is still warm, sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and then flip it onto a separate piece of parchment paper on the counter. Peel the top piece of parchment paper off the cake, then roll the cake up along with the bottom piece of parchment paper (example picture here). Set aside to cool.
How To Make The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Using a handheld mixer, whip together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
How To Assemble:
- Unroll the cake, then spread the frosting evenly, leaving a border at the edges.
- Roll the cake back up (peeling the parchment paper slowly off as you go) and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After chilling, trim the ends off, slice, and serve!
PIN NOW – TRY LATER!